Saturday 23 June 2012

Awkwardness and respect

So, I went to the local liquor store earlier this evening to pick up a couple brews. While it usually is a bit exciting, it all got a bit crazy when I posted this picture on the Twitters.





On the left is the absolutely stunning Renaissance Craftsman - a chocolate oatmeal stout smoother than Bobby Womack. It had its release quite recently at The Malthouse in Wellington and it sounds like it is as good as ever.

The beer on the right, however, is a bit different. It is Yeastie Boys' 2012 incarnation of Her Majesty. Only problem is, it isn't supposed to be out yet...

OH SNAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!

The bottle store had just put it on the shelf this evening, so I had to get it. The plan was to have it as my "huzzah I've graduated" beer. But that may have changed after brewer Stu McKinlay told me it shouldn't be on shelves yet.

I'm thinking of it like a movie or album that's been leaked online before the official release date: while fair game if you want it, it goes against the spirit of what the artist/s wanted if you consume said art before it's intended release.

So, in my cupboard it shall stay until such time as Stu and fellow Yeastie Boy Sam Possenniskie actually want it to be drunk. I just think that's fair enough really.

But what can I tell you about it? Well, sweet sod all really. The bottle is somewhat vague in its description, probably on purpose.





For those that can't read that, here's the synopsis:

"Her Majesty is a warming strong ale, now in its third incarnation, that we release each winter as the days shorten. This year's model is a dark ale that brings together a mixture of rich British and German malts, a pinch of fruit and earthiness from its East Kent hops, a little secret something for complexity, and a slow cool fermentation to highlight the purity of the ingredients."

Apart from that, I can tell you it's 7% and comes in a 750ml bottle.

And I'm looking forward to drinking it.

2 comments:

  1. Cheers Jono... kegs are released now, with the bottle release being 21/06 (would have been my mum's 71st birthday).

    I reckon this beer is pretty good now but will be great next winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that it's on keg around and about places in Wellington. I shared the bottle with my dad the night before my graduation - we're both big fans. No idea what that "secret" ingredient is though.

      Delete