Tuesday 29 May 2012

Things just ain't what they used to be

Photo: KFC Denmark (I think. Me no speak Danish)
Just like KFC when you're not hungover, kebabs when you aren't on your way home from the pub and my fitness levels, time has a weird way of telling your memory that things were AMAZING "that time then", which leads to far too much disappointment at a later date. And this always seems to only happen to the good things in life. After all, who is going to hate bad things from a year or so ago actually getting good? But I digress.

Beer is what this all about, specifically in relation to Renaissance Craftsman. A seasonal offering from the Blenheim brewer, I had my first taste of it last year. I still remember that first sniff - I swear it was like putting my nose in a bag of freshly made, ultra-savory Milo powder. It all got a bit Tony Montana for a few seconds before I actually drank some.

It was like the best hot chocolate I had ever had, but gone cold. I was hooked. I wanted more. I was ready to run cocoa across the Gulf of Mexico if it meant more of this beer.

Fast-forward about a year and I have a glass of the 2012 edition in front of me as what was the dessert to a good night's dinner of chicken, mushroom, olive and caper risotto.

Photo: Me (yup, I need better backgrounds)

On the nose there is a huge difference already. Instead of snorting cocoa powder, I get more soy sauce/umami with a rich warm chocolate note. Upon drinking, it's far less sweet and much more balanced. It's all a bit underwhelming after last year really. It even manages to get pretty bad when my girlfriend says she gets a cigarette butt note, which nearly kills this beer for me in the same way Yeastie Boy Stu McKinlay killed my love of Three Boys Wheat when he compared it to dish-washing liquid.

 All in all, it was a bit of a let down. BUT - and a big but at that, we're talking Texas big - I'll still give it another few tries before I'm convinced it's not as good.

Because while nostalgia is a bitch, no one likes a hater.

In other news, Little Beer Quarter in Wellington is playing host to a pre-launch of the 2012 edition of Her Majesty tomorrow night. I'm going to try get there for it, but I also have to catch up with the old man. Hopefully I can squeeze in both, but the magnum of wine I need to crack as a celebration of me graduating may prevent me from making it to LBQ. But do head down if you can! It's a cracker of a bar which just oozes charm from every inch.

If you want to check out the place before you go, this interactive interior tour is the way to go.

4 comments:

  1. I still think its good but certainly not as lovely or friendly as it used to be. Damn shame really, especially given that I used to use it as a gateway beer for non beer drinkers.

    I do wonder if a bit of time in the bottle might take the edge off the hop bitterness and let the cocoa come through.

    I also wonder if I had it a bit cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's just not the same as it used to be. I hope a bit of time to settle down will help. That bitterness I get at the end isn't the most pleasant thing in the world.

      I had mine at Palmerston North house temperature, which I'm guessing was about 10-12 Celsius - bang on where they want it.

      Delete
  2. Hey Jono,
    Really enjoying the blog. Been thinking of starting one of these myself, (have all these posts swimming in my head) just haven't got around to it. might have to give it a go.
    I had the new Craftsman last night at Malthouse and completely agree... while still a great beer, it definitely used to be a whole lot better.
    I think they thought the same, because they made me try a pretty interesting combo. On the 'hopinator' at the moment they have tuatara porter going through coffee beans, and made a 50/50 mix of that and the craftsman. That seemed to bring out the chocolate a little more, with a neat coffee taste too.
    Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT sounds like an awesome idea. I'm all for beer blending/hoptails.

      And you should totally get into the blogging universe. I find it is a great way to (try) get away from the structured world of newspaper writing and have a bit more fun.

      Delete