Wednesday 15 August 2012

Beervana: Pre-game 2.0

So, yesterday's post was all about the North Island bars and the festive brews. Today's shall be about the South Island beers which will be on display at Beervana.

I'm probably looking forward to these the most. Plenty never make it up this way, and there's sure to be plenty on handpump. If I could pick a bar to be placed at on my volunteer shift on Friday (hint hint) I would jump for the Real Ale bar. Handpump ales are just so damn good! Understated, but so full of flavour and omnomnomness.

Anyway, on to the bars!

Top of the South

That land of golden sun, golden beaches and hops which, after I imbibe enough brews, make the world seem more golden. It's like being a pirate, but without the sailing. I really don't know what I mean by that. Ignore me, just read!

Must have: After watching this episode of NZ Craft Beer TV, I know I have to try something from Monkey Wizard. Lucky for me, their Black Mass Stout (3.6% oatmeal stout) will be at this bar. He really has inspired me to have a bit of fun with brewing (when I eventually get going) and not worry if things may not work. Because this brewing thing should be fun! It's a creative, enjoyable, vibrant experience and I can't wait to get among it.

Also, Phil Cook passed his love of session beers on to me, so I think it's only reasonable that I have to get me a glass of this, especially given Wellington's love of being cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey.

Must not: I've already made my thoughts clear here on the latest batch of Renaissance Brewing Craftsman (4.9% stout). I've had it a few times since and my thoughts haven't changed much. That should say it all really.


Canterbury

I'm always amazed at how well the breweries from Chch and co are doing, considering the catastrophic quakes which tried to place a choker hold on the city. But fear not! These brewers are made of tough stuff, and I'm glad they're sending plenty of beer up north for me to enjoy.

Must have: There is a lot from this bar I would have, but the Resolute Brewing Beechwood Bock (6.4% smoked bock) has to take the cake. I've been a fan of smoked beers since someone mispoured a Invercargill Smokin' Bishop at The Malthouse once. Any beer that tastes like smoked bacon has to be the business, ain't I right haters?!?!

Must not: Sorry Three Boys, but I've had enough Oyster Stout (6.5% stout) to drown half of Palmerston North. And probably enough to turn me into a complete horn dog if this is to be believed. I best leave that until I get back home.


Southern

Them Southerners know their brews. Richard Emerson is a titan of the New Zealand brewing scene, and I'm very glad he got some national TV attention recently (without subtitles - good work TV3!). He's helping to continually prove the point that there is more to Southern beer than Speights.

Must have: Probably the busiest brewery in the country with all the contract work they do, Invercargill Brewery also - somehow - find the time to pump out their own awesome range. But I have got to have some of their Pitch Black Boysenberry Stout (5% stout). The missus has had some lying around for a while, but won't let me drink it. This may be my only chance to have some.

Must not: I had never had tequila (in any decent quantity) until I worked at The Malthouse. As much as I love the stuff now, I still hate the Tequila Beer (5.6% fruit flavoured beer) from Green Man Brewery. But some go gaga for it. Don't be put off - at least give it a go. You can't mock it until you've tried it


Wildcards

Sure, so I said there would be only one - but bugger it. There's too much awesome beer to only pick one! So here are my three random picks for Beervana.

1) Cassels & Sons Brewery Milk Stout (5.3% sweet stout) - I've been told by many people that this is the beer I have to have at Beervana. I've not had much/any of their stuff before, but I can't turn it down with the number of people preaching praises about this brew.

2) 8 Wired Brewing Bumaye (17% experimental barrel-aged imperial stout) - anyone who knows me well enough should know I'm a sucker for an imperial stout. I've drunk an imperial pint of Moa's version before, and even made a cake out of it. I was a big fan of Søren's Batch 18, so I'm hanging out for this. I may have to make it the nightcap on Friday night, but what a nightcap it will be.

3) Liberty Brewing C!tra (9% imperial IPA) - C'mon, watch the video below and tell me you don't want to drink it - sweaty surfer armpit and all!


No comments:

Post a Comment